- 3 bottles (2.25L) cheap red wine (Lambrusco is good)
- 2 cloves
- 5 inch stick cinnamon
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 9oz (250g) sugar cubes
- 1 pint (600ml) dark rum or brandy
- Put wine and grated lemon rind into a large pan and heat gently.
- Stir in the lemon and orange juices.
- Pack sugar cubes into a stainless steel sieve and set it across the top of the pan.
- Warm the rum/brandy slowly and pour over some sugar.
- Set fire to it, adding more rum from time to time to keep flames alight.
- When all the sugar has melted, stir well and serve.