- 4-6 leaves of fresh silverbeet
- 3-4 eggs
- 500g bacon, diced small
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup fresh (or 1/2 cup dry) breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 sheets of frozen puff pastry
- Trim silverbeet off the stalks and wash well; shred and cook until collapsed; drain well.
- Remove rind and surplus fat from the bacon and cut up small. Cook in a saucepan until nice and brown.
- Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook until onion is clear. Allow to cool.
- Grate the cheese and put out pastry sheets to defrost. Prepare fresh breadcrumbs if using.
- Put breadcrumbs, cheese, and silverbeet into the saucepan with the bacon and stir; then add the eggs and seasonings and stir well. Mixture should be moist but not runny.
- Divide mixture into four portions and place each portion onto one side of the pastry square. Spread the mixture to within 2cms of the edge of pastry on two sides to form a triangle. Do not wet edges as puff pastry will seal better if not wet. Fold over and seal.
- Bake on greased trays in a hot oven until cooked.
Note: These pastries are nice hot or cold, and can be made smaller for an entrée or snack.