- 1 and 3/4 cups plain flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 150g (5 oz) butter
- 1 egg yolk
- A few drops of lemon juice
- 4-5 tabs water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup matured cheese, grated
- Sift flour and salt. Rub in butter. Add egg yolk, lemon juice and enough water to make a stiff dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead lightly. Roll out to fit flan tin. Line tin with pastry.
- Lightly fry onion and bacon until soft and golden; allow to cool.
- Place eggs, evaporated milk and seasonings in a bowl and beat well.
- Place onion and garlic in flan. Sprinkle grated cheese over the top.
- Pour the egg mixture carefully over the rest of the ingredients in the flan tin.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes in oven at 180°C, or until set.
- Serve hot or cold with a fresh green salad.
Note: This recipe can be adapted by adding capsicum, spinach or semi-dried tomatoes.