- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 500g chicken breasts, fat removed
- 2 jalapeños (or 3 if you like it hot!)
- ½ small red onion
- 2 x 400g cans white beans (I use cannellini beans)
- 1 cup of salsa verde (see the recipe)
- 3 limes
- Sour cream for serving
- Fresh cilantro, chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Bring the chicken broth and water to a boil in a large pot. Add the raw chicken breasts to the hot liquid; cover and cook for 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat but leave the lid on so that the chicken continues cooking. After 20 minutes, remove the lid and check to make sure there is no pink in the centre of the chicken breasts. Remove the cooked chicken from the hot liquid and set aside to cool.
- If you are making the salsa verde, do this now (see the recipe).
- Mince the jalapeño and onion in a food processor. Once finely chopped, add it to the pot of chicken broth, along with the white beans and salsa verde. Cover and leave it to simmer over medium heat.
- Use two forks to shred the cooled chicken breasts, then return them to the pot.
- Stir the soup, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Just before serving, squeeze the juice of one lime into the pot.
- Cut the remaining limes into wedges for serving.
- Serve the soup with a dollop of sour cream and fresh cilantro, with a side of lime wedges.
5 thoughts on “Jalapeño chicken soup with lime”
Sounds amazing. We’re always making chicken soup – especially when someone has a cold – so we will definitely give this a try. 🙂
I hope you like it! Nothing beats a hearty soup 😀
Agreed! Will let you know how it turns out! 🙂
Oooh yum! Will definitely be trying this weekend!!!
Thanks! Hope you like it! Let me know how it goes 🙂