- Perfect pastry dough (see the recipe)
- 3 cups strawberries, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 6 tabs raw sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 2 tabs Chambord, or other berry liqueur (optional)
- 1 egg
- 1 tab water
- 1/4 cup icing sugar, to decorate
- Freshly whipped cream, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 200° C. Line two baking trays with baking paper and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine strawberries, sugar, berry liqueur and vanilla until sugar dissolves and strawberries disintegrate.
- Drain some excess juice (approximately 1/4 cup) from the saucepan to a small bowl; return the saucepan to the heat.
- Add cornflour to the separated juice; stir until completely mixed. Add cornflour mix to the saucepan and stir until strawberry mixture is thick; remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out half of the prepared pastry dough to 1/8 inch thickness.
- Use a 6 inch heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut heart shapes in the pastry. Roll out the remaining half of the dough and repeat. Form any excess dough back into a ball, roll out and cut again until dough is used up.
- Whisk egg and water together in a small bowl; lightly brush around each heart.
- On half of the hearts only, place 2 to 3 tablespoons of the cooled strawberry filling.
- Cover each ‘filled’ heart with one of the remaining hearts; use a fork to gently press the edges together to seal. Pierce the top of each pie with a sharp skewer to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the tops of each pie with the egg wash and bake for 20 minutes, or until the pies are golden brown.
- Cool the pies on a wire rack, then use a sieve to dust them with icing sugar.
- Serve with freshly whipped cream.