These puftaloons are delicious, and super easy to make! My Mum makes these fried scones to perfection, and I have fond memories of my family enjoying these as a special treat.
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- Pinch salt
- Oil or clarified fat
- Golden syrup (to serve)
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Add milk, and mix into a soft dough.
- On a floured board, knead the dough lightly.
- Flatten to 1 cm thickness.
- Flour a small round cutter and cut circles from the dough.
- Heat a small amount of oil (or fat) in a pan,
- Gently fry the puftaloons until golden brown on each side.
- Place on absorbent paper to cool slightly, then serve with golden syrup.
Tip: If using oil, ensure it has a high smoke point. I use rice bran oil.
3 thoughts on “Puftaloons”
Excellent Recipe! My mum used to make these, but she added sugar to the dough. They make a great afternoon snack!
Thanks for posting!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks for your comment! Adding sugar is a great idea – I’ll try that next time 😊