Pavlova is an Australian classic which is favoured in summer as a light and delicious treat.
- 5 large egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsps cornflour, sifted
- 3/4 tsp white vinegar
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 110g tin passionfruit pulp
- 250g punnet strawberries, hulled and halved
- 2 mangoes, peeled and diced
- 2 kiwifruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 peach, sliced
- Preheat oven to 140°C. Fully grease a deep, 7 inch springform tin, then line the base and sides with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add sugar 1 tablespoon at a time, beating well after each addition, until sugar dissolves and the meringue is thick and glossy.
- Add cornflour, vinegar and vanilla and whisk until just combined.
- Spoon the meringue into the tin, and place on the oven’s lowest shelf, ensuring there’s plenty of room above for the meringue mixture to rise.
- Bake for 1 hour, or until the pavlova is dry to the touch. Turn the oven off, but leave the pavlova in the tin inside the oven for 1 hour to slowly cool.
- Just prior to serving, whip the cream to dollop consistency and spoon it onto the top of pavlova. Top with fresh mango, peaches, kiwifruit, strawberries, and passionfruit.