Ingredients (for gingerbread):
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/4 cup golden syrup
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 egg
- 125g butter
Ingredients (for icing):
- 1 egg, separated
- 150g (1 cup) pure icing sugar, sifted
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar.
- Add the golden syrup and 1 egg and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together all dry ingredients. Add to the wet ingredients.
- Mix well, then refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Place refrigerated dough on a floured surface and knead lightly.
- Roll out to 5mm thickness and then cut into shapes using cookie cutters.
- Bake in 170 degree celcius oven for 15 minutes or until browned nicely.
- Leave to cool on tray for 5 minutes then transfer to cooling racks.
- Place egg white in a clean, dry bowl. Beat with an electric beater to form soft peaks. Gradually add the icing sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- When the gingerbread is cool, pipe icing over the shapes to decorate.
(photo credit: Żywe Muzeum Piernika via photopin | license)
One thought on “Gingerbread”