The weather is getting quite fresh in Queensland – winter is drawing nearer and the air is cool and crisp. I really love this time of year because it’s the perfect time to cook hearty comfort food, such as this delicious chicken and pumpkin curry.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 Jap pumpkin (also known as Kent pumpkin)
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tab ginger paste*
- 1 tab lemongrass paste*
- 3 tabs yellow curry powder
- 1 tab garlic powder
- 1 tab onion powder
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 3 tabs fresh lime juice
- 1 x 398ml can light coconut milk
- 1 red chili (optional)**
- Remove the chili top, and finely chop the chili.
- Pour the chicken stock and coconut milk into your slow cooker.
- Add the salt, ginger, lemongrass, curry powder, onion powder, garlic powder, turmeric and chili.
- Stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Peel the pumpkin piece, cut it into medium cubes and add it to the slow cooker.
- Cut the chicken into large cubes and add it also.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5-6 hours.
- Prior to serving, add the lime juice and stir in thoroughly.
- Serve with rice.
* If you prefer to prepare your own ingredients, you can instead use one tsp freshly grated ginger and 1 tab chopped lemongrass. I find that I have less waste when using the pastes, and it also cuts down the prep time. I use the Gourmet Garden brand which they sell at most grocery stores.
** The chili adds heat to this dish. To reduce the heat you can remove the seeds before chopping it, or you can increase the heat by adding more chili.