Keep these cheesy Vegemite scrolls on hand as a great addition to any lunchbox, handy afternoon snack or tasty grab-and-go breakfast when you’re short on time.
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tabs Vegemite
- 200g grated tasty cheese
- 50g butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/8 tsp table salt
- Preheat oven to 220°C.
- Sift flour and salt into a large bowl. Rub the butter into flour mixture until consistent in texture.
- Add enough milk to make a soft dough. Knead the dough gently on a lightly floured surface, and then roll it out to rectangle (25cm x 40cm in size).
- Spread the Vegemite over the dough, then sprinkle evenly with cheese.
- From the long side, roll the dough to enclose the cheese. Cut the rolled dough into 10 sections place close together on a greased baking tray.
- Bake in a hot oven 220ºC until golden brown (approx. 15-20 minutes).
Note: You can make a variety of scrolls by replacing the filling. E.g. to make pizza scrolls, fill with tomato paste spread, sliced mushrooms and chopped ham. To make dessert scrolls, fill with Nutella spread and cinnamon sugar (replace the salt in the dough 1 tsp sugar also).